Mooie rankings en quotes voor Ploum in de Legal500 2023
De prestigieuze Legal 500 heeft hun jaarlijkse rankings weer gepubliceerd. Wij zijn trots te kunnen melden dat ons kantoor ook in 2023 mooie rankings en fantastische quotes heeft mogen ontvangen.
- Transport: TIER 1
- Environment & Planning: TIER 2
- Industry focus: FOOD: TIER 2
- Insurance: TIER 2
- Energy: Transactional TIER 3
- IP: Trade mark, Copyrights, design right: TIER 3
- Data privacy & data protection: TIER 4
- Dispute Resolution: commercial litigation: TIER 4
- Commercial, corporate and M&A: TIER 5
- Employment: TIER 5
De 'leading individuals' dit jaar zijn: Maayke Maas-Cooymans, Natalie Vloemans, Albert Wiggers en Rutger Ploum
Lees hieronder onze rankings of bekijk ons profiel op de website van de Legal 500.
Ploum > Rotterdam > Netherlands | The Legal 500 law firm profiles
TRANSPORT TIER 1
Ploum specialises in transport and logistics and advises shipping companies and logistic service providers. The group also has expertise in regulatory, corporate and administrative law, and with a notable focus on international customs and trade law. The multi-disciplinary team regularly advises on contract terms and conditions in logistics and shipping, supply chain management, value added logistics, warehousing, freight forwarding and maritime incidents, as well as handling any contentious issues arising from the same. The practice is led by Jikke Biermasz, who specialises in transport, customs, anti-dumping and trade-regulatory matters; Marijn van Tuijl, who is experienced in supply chain management, logistics and carriage of goods disputes; and Albert Wiggers, who focuses on M&A in the transport sector.
Next Generation Partners
- ‘Ploum are a great firm to work with on all projects where we have sought specialist Dutch and EU input on complex international trade matters. Ploum are responsive, engaged and look at commercial challenges from all angles. They have a considerable depth in both legal and practical knowledge of cross border transactions.’
- ‘The people in this team are very professional and are familiar with the specificities of the industry we are in. This results in a great collaboration and result-oriented way of working.’
- ‘Jikke Biermasz has a strong knowledge of the industry and technical expertise on Customs matters. with a customer friendly approach she delivers high-quality advisory which enables her customers to get the most-favourable outcomes.’
- ‘Always easily accessible, flexible, thoughtful, excellent knowledge in all disciplines in the logistics sector and beyond.’
- ‘Jikke Biermasz is very professional and has a thorough legal knowledge. She is also very practical which is important from a business perspective.’
- ‘The team has extensive knowledge of Transport and Logistics. Not only the legal aspects, but they are also familiar with the day to day businesses of transport and logistics companies, including all customs formalities.’
- ‘Jikke Biermasz and Marijn van Tuijl are very dedicated to their practice and have extensive up to date knowledge of all aspects of customs law and transport and logistics related legislation.’
- ‘Very accessible firm, lawyers available at shortest notice, experts on (maritime) transportation- and commercial law and insurance matters with thorough understanding of the practical side of it.’
ENVIRONMENT AND PLANNING TIER 2
Under the joint leadership of Maayke Maas-Cooymans, praised as ‘in a class of her own‘, and Alexandra Danopoulos, Ploum‘s ‘expert‘ public and environmental law team has a strong reputation for compliance advice, litigation before the administrative courts, and project development work. Also noted are attorneys Brigitte Ebben and Jouko Barensen, who brings expertise in criminal environmental matters.
- ‘The Ploum team’s knowledge base is rock solid and the way they advise fits the client’s needs: so brief, balanced and to the point. The fact that Ploum has a firm industrial client bases in the Rotterdam region is helpful – they know what’s going on.’
- ‘In-depth knowledge of permitting, able to benchmark with cases from other companies, clear advice on both legal aspects and the visions and perceptions of different stakeholders.’
- ‘Well-rounded team that truly supplements each other. Focus on practical solutions that get things going again. High level service for boutique costs.’
- ‘Ploum’s environment and planning practice is very straightforward and practical in the way they support the client. They have the knowledge and theoretical skills, but are able to make the connection to the client’s daily practice.’
- ‘Maayke Maas is generally recognized as top of the bill in environmental law. She can be reached easily, and knows the needs of the industry.’
- ‘Alexandra Danopoulos is straightforward, efficient, and passionate about her job. The way she understands the client’s daily practice makes her unique.’
- ‘Maayke Maas-Cooymans is in a class of her own. She leads the small expert team at Ploum. She is a unique person who has the ability to give spot-on advice in understandable, crisp language. She always walks the extra mile and never lets the client down.’
- ‘Alexandra Danopoulos has first-hand experience in infrastructure and dredging, and is able to translate her experience to workable legal solutions. A quick thinker with a good sense of our interests: she can easily accommodate her strategy to evolving situations.’
- Advising and representing Shell Nederland Raffinaderij in a lodged appeal against some of the permit requirements included in the necessary permits to build and operate a new biofuel plant.
- Advising Eneco Wind and Shell Gas & Power Developments on regulatory and environmental aspects of the tender for the offshore wind farm permit Hollandse Kust West.
- Advising various companies and organisations on potential legal action against a policy rule of the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT) that regulates the export of fuels to West Africa.
INDUSTRY FOCUS: FOOD TIER 2
Ploum leverages its Rotterdam base to support clients in compliance issues surrounding the import and manufacture of food and animal feed, including pesticide residues, veterinary import controls, microbiology and contamination issues. Marijn van Tuijl represents clients in contractual and liability disputes concerning the manufacture and international trade of goods. Jikke Biermasz focuses on customs and export control matters, and has strong knowledge of customs, anti-dumping and trade-regulatory laws. Dorine ten Brink draws up and negotiates various commercial contracts involving agency, distribution, purchasing and general conditions. Willem Leppink is the key contact for soft IP mandates and Alexandra Danopoulos specialises in environmental law.
- ‘We work with Ploum in the fields of IP, trade, contracts, manufacturing and logistics. The firm’s down to earth and hands-on approach makes it unique. Ploum is so important for our business because it is exceptionally skilful in its area of expertise and brings complex problems back to workable solutions for companies like us.’
- ‘The way Ploum’s IP team restructured our branding teams and the way they are protecting our IP is impressive to say the least. They changed the way our global company is looking at branding and the way we should take care of our brands. Legal matters are handled very professionally. I can say with certainty that Ploum’s IP team became invaluable to our business.’
- ‘Marijn van Tuijl and Mirjam Louws professionalized the way we are contracting our suppliers and pointed out some risks in the area of liability, food safety and financial matters that we were able to avert with their help.’
- ‘We reached out to Marijn van Tuijl and his team to guide us through setting up a manufacturing division. We are convinced that Ploum is giving us the best advice we can get in the area of trade and production of food. They are trusted partners for a very important part of our business.’
- Successfully challenged a very high fine imposed by the Netherlands Food and Product Safety Authority (NVWA) in the amount of EUR 3.5 million on behalf of an importer of food and feed commodities.
- Assisted Gorillas in various matters after the conversion of their German topholding into a Dutch company, including advice on Dutch corporate law.
- Representing H. van Wijnen both in administrative proceedings against the Dutch regulator NVWA and in civil litigation against a major German retailer.
INSURANCE TIER 2
Ploum has cemented a strong reputation for handling health, safety and environmental insurance issues, particularly relating to environmental damages claims surrounding hazardous or toxic contaminants. The team is also strong in construction-related insurance matters, specifically in connection with design and build project insurance. D&O liability is also an area of expertise for the firm, where it represents corporate officers and directors. The firm is also recognised for representing accountants in professional liability claims. The practice is led by Natalie Vloemans, former president of the Dutch Arbitration Association and an experienced insurance practitioner with specific expertise in the petrochemical sector as it relates to environmental damage.
- Assisting Koole in an insurance claim against several co-insurers following the shutdown of the Odfjell terminal in 2012.
- Advising SAAone in insurance dispites in connection with CAR insurance and Pl Insurance.
- Assisted, at the request of Pl insurer Klap No Risk B.V., an insurance broker facing multiple claims in relation to the coronavirus pandemic.
ENERGY: TRANSACTIONAL TIER 3
The energy group at Ploum has historic strength in the oil and gas sector, and is extending its reach into renewables, including the developing area of hydrogen as well as solar and wind. Maayke Maas-Cooymans specialises in public and environmental law, while experienced corporate and commercial partner Stephan Sluijters leads on transactional mandates, and receives praise from clients as a ‘dealmaker and a real expert‘.
- ‘Ploum’s energy transactional practice is characterized by always putting the client’s need first while achieving the best deal possible for them. Particularly noteworthy is the exceptional sector expertise and the commitment to handle even difficult transactions at short notice to the client’s utmost satisfaction.’
- ‘Great team. They are hands on with a very practical approach and all and all are just very nice to work with.’
- ‘One-stop shop with all skills and competencies required in the sector available. Great communication and relationship management.’
- ‘Full service firm with deep energy sector knowledge. Great track record for energy work in the broadest sense. Ploum really handles the full spectrum of energy and corporate related work for both domestic and multinational clients. Go-to-firm with can-do mentality.’
- ‘Stephan Sluijters has great knowledge of the industry, he is there when you need him and he understands the client’s business interests very well.’
- ‘The team around Stephan Sluijters is very committed, and engages with clients and counterparts in a professional and friendly manner. Team members are diligent, available and willing to understand the business side, which makes this team a good and pragmatic partner.’
- ‘Stephan Sluijters is strong in energy-related matters and has a pragmatic approach. Good dealmaker and a real expert. Ready to go the extra mile to get the best result for the client. Very pleasant and to-the-point communication.’
- ‘Geert de Nijs supports projects in an excellent manner: he is not only strong and creative on the strict legal merits but also has a good eye for dimensions such as the relationship between shareholders and its possible evolution over the years, which is equally invaluable advice.’
- Advised BayWa r.e. / GroenLeven on the development and sale of various solar parks to various investors as well as other projects.
- Advised Shell on its acquisition of MS Tolls from Trevipay.
- Advised ABN AMRO Energy Transition Fund on its divestment of MP Solar.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: TRADE MARKS, COPYRIGHTS AND DESIGN RIGHTS TIER 3
Ploum‘s IP team represents clients in the automotive, technology, luxury goods, outdoor, food and beverage, and tobacco industries in a range of mandates. Department head Willem Leppink collaborates with Sabin Tigu on anti-counterfeiting and anti-parallel trade matters. The pair are noted by several clients for their leadership skills and pan-European trade mark law knowledge. Dennis Zieren focuses on copyright work and is key advisor for Dutch public and commercial broadcasting companies.
- ‘Ploum has an excellent local network and therefore excellent market knowledge. Very professional handling of cases, excellent responsiveness and thorough knowledge of IP.’
- ‘For years, our key contacts have been renowned senior partner Willem Leppink and Sabin Tigu. We greatly appreciate this collaboration, especially their enormous commitment, their will to always achieve more than the competitors, their enormous experience and the passion with which they practice their profession. We are always impressed by how quickly they are able to present convincing solutions even in the most difficult matters.’
- ‘I have worked with Ploum and also referred a number of my clients to them. I always receive great feedback. They deliver great client service. Their advice is clear and to the point. They consider the bigger picture and the commercial context and not simply the letter of the law.’
- ‘Willem Leppink is an outstanding partner. He is considered, thorough and diligent in providing expert advice that really seeks to achieve the client’s goals. Sabin Tigu is great to work with. He has a great manner with clients and has an in-depth knowledge of trade mark law.’
- ‘Ploum’s team is our No. 1 partner for all soft IP-issues in the Netherlands. They are very knowledgeable, and they always deliver promptly.’
- ‘Willem and Sabin have a great team of young lawyers that all have the same solution driven, pragmatic approach. With this team we can have an efficient way of dealing with online and domain name issues.’
- ‘Willem and Sabin both are very trustworthy, approachable and hands-on lawyers. To the point and willing to think with the business rather than only from a legal point of view.’
- ‘You can absolutely trust Willem Leppink’s advice. He has a high-level perception of EU-trademark law.’
- Coordinating Western Digital’s pan-EU battle against counterfeits and parallel trade in its products on all European online market places.
- Representing Coty against Easycosmetic in a trade mark matter involving packaging boxes before the Supreme Court.
- Representing Robeco against Milieudefensie (an environmental action group) before the Dutch Advertising Standards Committee, regarding sustainability claims related to investments in palm oil.
DATA PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION TIER 4
Rotterdam-based firm Ploum‘s data privacy and protection practice is led by Dennis Zieren and Dorine ten Brink, two experienced IT and privacy practitioners. Senior associate Nina Witt specialises in healthcare sector privacy matters, including advising on data processing activities, compliance and data processing agreements, as well as data breaches and data protection impact assessments.
- ‘The proactive approach and the fact that they always put our interests first has been a great pleasure for us.’
- ‘Excellent team. Wonderful service and advice. Easy to work with and hands-on. Very client focused.’
- ‘Dennis Zieren gives you everything needed to be in an optimal position. A go-to person for data privacy and data protection-related matters. Fast, hands-on and client focused. Easy to work with.’
- ‘Specific knowledge of the business and my company as well as in-depth knowledge on privacy and data protection.’
- ‘Committed and expert lawyers. Lots of knowledge in-house. Pleasant people to work with, always an opportunity to spar. Think along with the organisation.’
- ‘Extensive knowledge in specific areas of law. The lawyers listen carefully to what you want and are very involved. They are always easily accessible to answer questions.’
- ‘The internal fast-tracking and the cooperation of teams within Ploum’s organisation significantly accelerated the project.’
- Advised Heineken Nederland on several privacy matters regarding the processing of personal data relating to marketing activities and events.
- Advising Stitching Krunsthal Rotterdam on data processing activities and carried out a data protection impact assessment.
- Advised BovenMas Prenataal on several privacy matters concerning sharing medical information with other healthcare specialists.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION: COMMERCIAL LITIGATION TIER 4
The dispute resolution team at Ploum focuses on commercial and corporate litigation as well as insurance, construction and real estate disputes. Key contact for insurance companies Maurice Verhoeven handles professional, D&O liability and shareholders disputes, and Natalie Vloemans represents clients in the petrochemicals and construction industries in insurance claims. Head of the competition law practice Michel Jacobs deals with cartel cases, while Dorine ten Brink is involved in civil proceedings involving IT issues.
- ‘Ploum is always very responsive to questions and requests for assistance. They offer a pro-active approach to the issue at hand.’
- ‘Michel Jacobs shows all qualities which clients of big law firms are asking for.’
- ‘Matthijs Gardien is young and energetic. He responds very quickly to questions and communicates very well.’
- ‘Thomas Munnik and Maurice Verhoeven are always available and on top of things.’
- ‘Matthijs Gardien has a no nonsense and problem-solving attitude. He makes sure all ways to resolve a dispute are being discussed. If litigation is necessary, he is a seasoned professional who takes the initiative and gets the best result possible for his clients. He is also pleasant to work with.’
- ‘High quality lawyers, very good collaboration and communication.’
- ‘Suzanne Poutsma, attorney-at-law and part of Michel Jacobs’ team, shows high ability in litigation in complex matters with foreign jurisdictions. Very smart, very fast and friendly.’
- ‘Dorine ten Brink and Suzanne Poutsma stand out.’
- Defending Klap No Risk against a claim for damages by event organisers for allegedly not having taken care for an insurance policy for certain events that have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Representing L.J. Boer Beheer B.V.in inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam.
- Representing Chemours and DuPont in litigation against four municipalities that claim compensation for C8 (PFOA) and GenX related contamination.
COMMERCIAL, CORPORATE AND M&A TIER 5
Based in Rotterdam, the corporate practice at Ploum has strong expertise in the energy sector, with other key sectors of focus including transport and logistics, insurance, software and media. Albert Wiggers, who assists clients in setting up businesses in the Netherlands, in addition to acquisitions and contractual matters, jointly leads the team alongside Tom Ensink. Other key contacts include ‘deal savvy’ Stephan Sluijters and Jeroen Terstegge, who is ‘always on the ball’.
- ‘Strong team with an outstanding track record, client driven and very easy to work with. Truly first-class.’
- ‘Stephan Sluijters is deal savvy. Smart lawyer, very professional and willing to go the extra mile.’
- ‘Good lawyers, to the point and on top of their game.’
- ‘All are responsive and flexible.’
EMPLOYMENT TIER 5
Rotterdam-based Ploum has a strong focus on employment matters affecting clients in heavy industry, in addition to advising on issues in other sectors. Founding and managing partner Rutger Ploum leads the practice along with Simon Tan. Both are experienced practitioners in employment law, including dispute resolution and non-contentious advisory matters.
- ‘Excellent support in the specific circumstances of closing a business and developing a suitable social plan. Excellent support at the negotiation table and in preparation for the case.’
- ‘Experience in similar situations, good listening skills, able to respond promptly.’
- ‘Very good and committed lawyers.’
- ‘Very good advice and answers at short notice.’
- ‘Rutger Ploum is not only an expert but has excellent qualities in his relationships with the client and the other parties. He always reacts fast and involves colleagues if necessary. He’s a good lawyer to work with.’
- ‘Michelle Westhoeve and Kim Prooij are experts in this area of law – very productive, accurate and nice people to work with.’
- ‘Simon Tan is an excellent lawyer and trusted adviser. He is our go-to lawyer for all labour law-related matters. He has seen it all and is always there when you need him. He is able to provide to-the-point and excellent advice, and is very experienced, knowledgeable, efficient, calm and a safe pair of hands. Simon never loses sight of the bigger picture, while keeping an eye on the important details. He is easily able to cope with all circumstances.’
- ‘Strong team with outstanding track record, client driven and very easy to work with.’
- Advising on a day-to-day basis on a wide array of employment issues, including privacy and co-determination matters, for Unilever.
- Advising Aluchemieon on a wide array of issues, including the intended shutdown of the Aluchemie plant, which involves negotiating a social plan with the trade unions, assisting in the works council advisory process, drafting documents and providing day-to-day advice regarding this project.
- Advising APM Terminals on various high-profile employment and co-determination issues, including the works council advisory process regarding the sale of APM Terminals Rotterdam B.V. to Hutchison Ports.
Firms to watch: Construction
Jacob Henriquez launched the construction practice at Ploum in 2018 and the team has since developed with specific expertise in FIDIC contracts, both contentious and non-contentious, as well as construction-related matters within the renewable energy sector.