The prestigious Legal 500 has published their annual rankings again. We are proud to announce that our firm has also received top rankings and fantastic quotes in 2022. Thank you all!
Mentioned as 'leading individuals' this years edition are: Maayke Maas-Cooymans, Albert Wiggers, Natalie Vloemans and Rutger Ploum.
Ploum > Rotterdam > Netherlands | The Legal 500 law firm profiles
ENERGY: TRANSACTIONAL – TIER 2
Ploum has notable experience in the oil and gas sector, in particular with regard to the mid- and downstream segments, but also in relation to exploration and production. Clients value the combination of public and environmental law which the team employs on both traditional and renewable energy projects. The practice has seen a sustained uptick in renewables instructions and has also been advising on a hydrogen project, recently. Stephan Sluijters has 20 years’ experience in energy transactional matters and Maayke Maas-Cooymans is the name to note for public law work. Other key practitioners include Jeroen Terstegge, Jolande van Loon and Lucas Lustermans.
- ‘Stephan Sluijters and his team are very available and quick to react on any upcoming issues.‘
- ‘They are knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with while developing contracts.‘
- ‘Ploum is professional and efficient.‘
- ‘They have a highly respected presence in the energy sector.‘
- ‘Very client-orientated, fast, intelligent and flexible.‘
- ‘The team covers the full range of energy related projects.‘
- ‘Frequently involved in high-profile energy and corporate related transactions and on top of all developments.‘
- ‘Jeroen Terstegge is an outstanding lawyer who is very knowledgeable.‘
- Advised BayWa r.e. / GroenLeven on the sale of various solar parks to various investors.
- Advising Deltalinqs as project manager of “H-vision”, regarding various legal aspects concerning the intended development of a hydrogen plant.
- Advised European Energy on several acquisitions from Vattenfall, resulting in its introduction into the Dutch renewable-energy market.
ENVIRONMENT AND PLANNING: TIER 2
Ploum offers clients ‘high-quality advice and broad experience in dealings with regulators and governmental institutions and representatives’. The Rotterdam-based practice combines knowledge of public, criminal and EU law to handle a wide range of environment and planning matters; it is also experienced in undertaking high-profile litigation for large domestic and international companies. Maayke Maas-Cooymans co-heads the team and is recommended for safety, compliance and energy transition matters. Fellow practice lead Alexandra Danopoulos handles enforcement, spatial planning procedures, water legislation and energy law.
- ‘Good core knowledge of law and common practice with authorities.’
- ‘Good expertise, they know the client and know the authorities.’
- ‘Maayke Maas-Cooymans is an outstanding partner.’
- ‘Maayke Maas-Cooymans is very knowledgeable and responsive.’
- ‘The team is reliable, experienced and approachable.’
- ‘Maayke Maas is Mrs Environment in the Netherlands; she is very knowledgeable, practical, experienced and a pleasant and pragmatic person.’
- ‘Legal knowledge is superb, the team is always available and has fast response times.’
- ‘Maayke Maas-Cooymans is extremely knowledgeable in this areas of law.’
- Advising AGRO on obtaining all necessary permits to expand its cold storage capacity at the Maasvlakte Rotterdam.
- Advising CrossWind on the tender for the Hollandse Kust Noord offshore wind farm permit regarding the facility’s regulatory and environmental aspects.
- Assisted Aluchemie with regard to numerous matters, including a 2017 case in which the company was convicted of various offences by the criminal court of Rotterdam.
INDUSTRY FOCUS: FOOD TIER 2
The multidisciplinary food team at Ploum combines specialists in areas ranging from international trade, litigation, banking and finance, and insurance to corporate, labour and administrative law as well as IP, IT and privacy. The firm is well regarded for its ‘unique expertise in food related issues and Food Safety Authority cases’, as well as its experience in compliance issues surrounding the import and manufacture of food and animal feed and regulatory compliance of other products. Practice head Marijn van Tuijl ‘has all the answers and is a super food lawyer, working in close synergy with the transport and customs team.’
- ‘Ploum is a very hands-on firm and very solution oriented. They are very straight forward in their communication and always deliver fast with high quality.’
- ‘We work on regular bases with Willem Leppink, Sabin Tigu, Marijn van Tuijl and Mirjam Louws on IP cases and international contract matters. Communication is very straight forward and delivery is always quick and of high quality. So far, Ploum has won every case.’
- ‘Ploum is a one stop shop for a variety of different issues a company like us face on a regular basis. On top of knowing ‘the law’, they also know ‘the real world’, such as commercial aspects and the role government bodies/authorities play within the sector. Involving Ploum means involving an efficient and solution oriented law firm and I am very pleased with the services provided by them.’
- ‘Unique expertise on Food related issues and Food Safety Authority cases’.
- ‘Marijn van Tuijl understands the Food related issues in detail. Jikke Biermaz is great in Custom related matters’.
- ‘The leading team in Rotterdam. Our go to firm for all issues impact the movement of food products into the EU across the Dutch border.’
- ‘Marijn van Tuil has all the answers and is a superb food lawyer, working in close synergy with the transport and customs team.’
- After successful appeal proceedings, successfully represented Van Genugten Groep and Rined Fourages in proceedings at the Dutch Supreme Court level on behalf of prominent members of the Dutch pork industry against pharmaceutical manufacturer Wyeth (currently Pfizer). The matter concerns a claim for the illegal disposal of pharmaceutical hormone waste which waste was placed on the market as a food and as a feed raw material in violation of European legislation and causing widespread damages throughout the Dutch pork industry.
- Assisted The Royal Dutch Grain and Feed Trade Association, the Netherlands Subtropical Fruits Association (NZV) and seven of their members in administrative review proceedings and discussions with the Dutch food regulatory authority NVWA and with the European Commission in respect of widespread contamination of sesame seeds with ethylene oxide, a disinfectant used against microbial hazards, yet only allowed in food in the EU in minimal quantities.
- Represents H. van Wijnen both in administrative proceedings against the Dutch regulator NVWA and in civil litigation against a major German retailer. The matter concerns the order by NVWA to conduct a widespread recall and to ban the exports of fresh smoked salmon due to the alleged contamination with the Listeria monocytogenes bacteria which caused extensive damages to the client.
TRANSPORT: TIER 2
The transport and logistics team at Rotterdam-based Ploum draws on strength from its corporate, IT, banking and employment offerings to provide advice around regulations, litigation and international trade matters. Jikke Biermasz is experienced in transport law, customs law, anti-dumping issues and trade-regulatory law; Marijn van Tuijl acts for carriers, terminals, warehousing companies and insurers on compliance and disputes; and Albert Wiggers is recommended for transport-related M&A.
- ‘Ploum has a highly skilled, professional and experienced team in all areas of the logistics sector’.
- ‘Marijn van Tuijl understands the sector, provides practical and understandable advice and listens carefully to his clients’.
- ‘Jikke Biermasz and Marijn van Tuijl are always open for discussions; they are well known experts in their fields’.
- ‘Collaboration is easy and fast’.
- ‘The team does not bore you with pages long memos when asking a question but really supports in finding a practical answer or solution’.
- ‘Very well connected in the market, good knowledge of key players and dedicated to their work’.
- ‘Well-balanced team, excellent service, able to combine agility with a firm stand when needed’.
- ‘High level of knowledge, willing to share that knowledge and able to put it in perspective’.
- Representing DSV in injunction proceedings under logistic services contracts.
- Advised APM Terminals on the sale of one of its terminals in Rotterdam seaport to Hutchison Ports.
- Advised Customs Support Group on more than 10 acquisitions of customs brokering businesses throughout Europe.
INSURANCE: TIER 3
Ploum's insurance practice, which sits within the firm's dispute resolution department, generates mandates from a broad cross-section of clients, notably insurance companies, insured parties, brokers, loss adjusters and municipalities. Its contentious work includes professional liability (particularly matters involving accountants) and D&O liability claims. Health, safety and environmental matters are also seen as a key area of strength; Natalie Vloemans, who leads the insurance team, has expertise in HSE and petrochemical industry claims. Elsewhere, construction-related insurance matters are another driver of activity. Maurice Verhoeven and Vincent Terlouw are other key individuals in the group.
- Assisting Koole (formerly Odfjell) with an insurance claim against several co-insurers, following the shutdown of the Odfjell terminal in 2012.
- Advising SAAone on insurance disputes in connection with CAR insurance and PI insurance.
- Assisting an insurance broker who faces multiple claims in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: TRADE MARKS, COPYRIGHTS AND DESIGN RIGHTS: TIER 3
The Rotterdam-based Ploum team is ‘composed of excellent technicians’ who have expertise in trade mark, design and copyright protection and domain name issues, especially for clients in the automotive, technology, luxury goods and food/beverage industries. It can co-ordinate pan-European programmes including anti-counterfeiting and parallel import cases and also has an established prosecution practice. The latter team has been boosted with the hire of trade mark attorney Michelle Roosma from Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V.. Team head Willem Leppink and Sabin Tigu are both considered by clients to be ‘stand outs‘ who have been successful in numerous complex anti-counterfeiting or parallel trade actions for luxury goods brand owners.
- ‘Willem Leppink provides thoughtful, practical and strategic guidance. He is very prompt to respond to queries, is approachable and lovely to work with. He keeps you looped in at all times and is definitely a top IP practitioner.’
- ‘Ploum is commercial and innovative. They are solution driven and always looking for ways to deliver what the client needs in the most time and cost effective way possible. They truly feel like an extension of your own team.’
- ‘Willem Leppink and Sabin Tigu stand out on IP. Both are driven by a team approach to finding the right solution. They are responsive and clear in their advice. You really feel they have considered all of the avenues and their “can do” approach instils confidence.’
- ‘The team is composed of excellent technicians. They know their practice and the market very well and have all the necessary connections, especially in the field of trademark law in Europe. The billing is fully in line with expectations.’
- ‘Willem Leppink and Sabin Tigu are available, responsive, proactive, deliver the work in a timely manner. They have a very good contact with the clients and have been really available via zoom during the pandemic .’
- ‘PLOUM´s IP practice combines key virtues which are very much appreciated by our clients: profound knowledge in all kind of IP issues, experienced litigators, clear advice and prompt responsiveness. They always take strategic aspects into account as they have a broad view on the cases considering not only legal but also commercial factors. Also on a personal level, the key players Sabin Tigu and Willem Leppink are good to work with!’
- ‘We can recommend Sabin Tigu without any limitations. This evaluation is based on the experiences of a long lasting working relationship with him. He is very robust when expressing and enforcing our client´s interest, but at the same time has tactical excellent skills when it comes to negotiating. His knowledge of IP issues is very profound. We would characterize him as a very clever negotiator on the one hand, but also very clear and hard when necessary to defend client´s interests in proceedings!’
- ‘Very professional team, all equally nice persons. Lots of up-to-date knowledge, team spirit, always available, very good price-quality ratio, in-house training for customers.’
- ‘Arlette Molenaar: Very competent lawyer, who can put herself in practice very well and who is able to think along with the business. Able to always provide the necessary actions/advice at very short notice. Always keep the costs involved in mind carefully and is always available for a short sparring.’
- Organizing and coordinating for Western Digital its pan EU battle against counterfeits and parallel trade in its products on all European online market places. This includes customs and legal action against many many infringers. We have handled almost 5 thousand cases since 2016 and this number is growing.
- Acted successfully for Coty, the world leading beauty company, in its battle against Easycosmetic, an e-tailer who was using Coty’s trademarks on its packaging boxes. Coty litigated this case first in Germany and later in Austria. Another pending matter is against petrol stations selling Coty perfumes in their petrol stations.
- Representing London Rubber Company (part of the Reckitt Benckiser Group) in various proceedings, including seizures, interim injunctions and proceedings on the merits regarding the diversion of parallel traded product from Senegal via Rotterdam. Furthermore, handled a counterfeit matter during the COVID19 crisis regarding the sales of counterfeit hand sanitizers.
DATA PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION: TIER 4
Ploum’s privacy team advises on the full spectrum of data issues and has recently been active on e-health issues, marketing work and international data transfers; the group also has expertise in issues pertaining to software, innovative technology and e-commerce mandates. Dennis Zieren and Dorine ten Brink jointly lead the Rotterdam-based practice, which also includes associate Nina Witt, who has key knowledge of the healthcare sector.
- ‘Nina Witt (associate): great knowledge of pharmaceutical/healthcare sector and therefore very capable in handling/advising on specific data privacy/GDPR matters. Manages to make complex issues understandable and (more importantly) workable for those with a non-legal background.’
- ‘Strong team. Their service level is just excellent and everything is handled in a user-friendly way. They are a pleasure to work with. The team is really focused on the needs of clients.’
- ‘Dennis Zieren; clever lawyer covering all aspects of data privacy and data protection. Very client focused. He is able to put advice in the right context and framework for the situation.’
- ‘Rotterdam firm that understand the culture and business we are in. Very pleasant way of communicating.’
- ‘Ploum’s Data Privacy Practice has a very broad knowledge of all area’s within Data Privacy. And if a question is linked to employment law for example, they are quick to ensure these elements are included in their advice. This to ensure all legal angles are covered. Overall the practice has a clear understanding of what a company requires from them, not just legally correct advice but also very much usable in daily business life.’
- ‘All individuals are always easy to be reached and quick to react and answer any question you might have. They are very much aware of what is needed in company life, so not too focused on the academic side of things but also ensure a good amount of practicality.’
- Involved in the privacy matters of the SWKGroep including GDPR implementation for the foundation and its 18 operating companies.
- Advised Libéma regarding a contract with a processor that sometimes processes personal data outside the European Economic Area, in order to ensure appropriate safeguards with regard to the Schrems II judgement.
- Assisted Ace Pharmaceuticals with very specific privacy-related matters relating to pharmaceuticals legislation and medication distribution.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION: COMMERCIAL LITIGATION: TIER 4
Rotterdam-based Ploum is well known in the market; the firm's team handles a range of disputes, including those relating to contracts, corporate, insurance, insolvency, real estate and product liability. The team, which has Dutch Supreme Court capabilities, is headed by Maurice Verhoeven , who is recommended for professional liability and handles cases before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal.
- ‘Maurice Verhoeven communicates clearly and unambiguously’.
- ‘Maurice Verhoeven knows how to clearly communicate the point of view or defence of our insured and of us as insurer’.
- ‘Our first contact with Ploum was with a senior partner who took the time to respond quickly in a time sensitive matter’.
- ‘They took the time to listen and understand the case’.
- ‘They are thorough and did their research’.
- ‘The team stays grounded and focused during stressful times and time-sensitive matters’.
- ‘When needed they were available for meetings, produced the necessary documents on time and secondly they were always available to comfort us’.
- ‘Maurice Verhoeven took ownership, managed expectations, was brutally honest and stood firm for his opinion’.
- Assisting Klap No Risk in relation to events cancelled by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Assisting L.J. Boer Beheer B.V. in inquiry proceedings before the Enterprise Chamber of the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam.
- Representing Chemours and DuPont in litigation against four municipalities that claim compensation for C8 (PFOA) and GenX-related contamination.
COMMERCIAL, CORPORATE AND M&A: TIER 5
Ploum, a single office firm in Rotterdam, is particularly accomplished in the energy space though has endeavoured to expand its activity in the transport and logistics sectors of late. The practice is also equipped to support on insurance, software, food, media and pharma matters and is co-led by Albert Wiggers, who has a track record of assisting clients, both domestic and international, on business establishment and also provides expertise in M&A and joint venture mandates, and Tom Ensink.
- ‘The team has a very strong hands-on approach and progresses deals at great speed not losing time. Strong combination of legal and business sense focussed on deal certainty. Good combination of specialists required to bring a complex transaction over the finish line. Outstanding availability of partners, associates and staff and extremely capable and effective client communications.’
- ‘Stephan Sluijters has extensive experience in progressing transactions and does not have to show-off his skills and capacities. Always plans ahead in transaction documentation and anticipates on complex matters to come. Impresses by exceptional handling of complex negotiations always focussing on both deal security and quality of the end-product. Great communicator, also in difficult circumstances. Always available and action ready.’
- ‘Albert Wiggers is reliable, sensible and has an excellent commercial understanding. He is a great partner who really helped us in reaching a better than expected deal.’
- ‘Tom Ensink, senior partner, provided excellent service. Available, non confrontational to other side but getting points across firmly. Took control of getting things done in a controlled manner. Very impressive.’
- ‘The team was fun to work with, and that is meaningful in an M&A transaction where a lot of time is spent together. I truly enjoyed each call with Ploum and the manner by which they conducted business. They were attentive, informative, and provided actionable insight’
- ‘Tom Ensink was informed and very knowledgeable. And, he provided sound advice on best next steps and approach. We couldn’t have done the deal without his knowledge of the local landscape and ability to navigate some tough issues.’
- ‘Go-to team for a wide array of commercial, corporate and M&A matters. The team is strong in terms of commercial acumen, very responsive and provides clear and pragmatic advice. Excellent team, covering all areas and able to share outstanding insights.’
- ‘Jeroen Terstegge is a top-notch lawyer. He is a very capable and smart. Always there when you need him. Able to zoom in and out when needed and guide all involved to the preferred outcome. Very impressive performance. Jeroen provides valuable insights on a wide range of aspects and is always very well prepared and pro-active.’
EMPLOYMENT TIER: 5
‘A high quality mid-sized law firm based in Rotterdam’, Ploum has a focus on non-contentious advisory matters and also handles contentious issues for large international corporates, as well as smaller domestic clients. Simon Tan heads the team alongside founding partner Rutger Ploum, who is recommended for conflicts work between enterprises and unions.
- ‘Ploum very much relates to our company and to the work we do’.
- ‘The partners and associates are easily accessible and have in-depth knowledge of our businesses’.
- ‘Communication is easy and service and support is timely and of expected quality’.
- ‘They are innovative and offer great value for money’.
- ‘Good advice and participation in the meetings and negotiations’.
- ‘The team is highly skilled’.
- ‘Ploum are professional, knowledgeable and always offer valuable guidance in a timely manner’.
- ‘The team I have to deal with are professionals in their field, work with speed and really understand the cases and our position’.
- Advising Unilever on a wide array of employment related issues, including privacy and co-determination.
- Advising Aluchemie on the intended closedown of the Aluchemie plant and litigation.
- Advising APM Terminals on various high-profile employment and co-determination issues.